Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 02:03:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8202 Posts in 1127 Topics by 1250 Members
Latest Member: gwj5
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

+  Hiking Naked
|-+  HIKING NAKED
| |-+  My Favorite Places To Hike Naked
| | |-+  Good places to be naked hiking, skinny-dipping or camping in the MD/VA/DC/PA/WVA
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good places to be naked hiking, skinny-dipping or camping in the MD/VA/DC/PA/WVA  (Read 21695 times)
HyperHowie
« on: January 28, 2007, 11:13:27 PM »

Can anyone give me an assist re hiking/camping/skinny-dipping/whatever in the Virginia, Maryland, DC, Pennsylvania or even West Virginia areas?

Thanks.
Report to moderator   Logged
longlines8
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:06:28 PM »

Howie,

there are several great places for hiking/skinny-dipping.  I have found the Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) to be of great benefit.  Usually, if it is not hunting season they are pretty empty, have plenty of trails, and many places to sun or skinny dip.  Weekends you have to watch for horse riders, but other than that are good.  George Washington National Forest and Shenandoa National Park also have some good locations.  Rose River near Syria is one I really like.  You can get off the main trail and back in for some great hiking and again some nice mountain stream water holes.
nudewalker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 06:52:21 PM »

I've noticed more references to Wildlife Management Areas for nude activities outside of hunting season so this year I plan to explore State Game Lands in Pa for that reason.  Also I noticed some of the trees here are beginning to bud so summer is close.  Now all I need is time off from work and a few warm days!
nudewalker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:23:11 AM »

I discovered a Yahoo group "No cloths in Pa" that you can read their message board.  There has been some discussion of state parks in the eastern part of Pennsylvania. That should be near where the eastern panhandle of WV is I would assume.  Also Pa state game lands should also provide areas to be enjoyed.  I'm waiting for someone in western Pa to post some places so I can enjoy new scenery.  Temps in the 80's and sunshine; I'm headed outside! 
natural
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 09:32:56 PM »

Check with the Potomac Rambling Bares, a AANR affiliated club. We have several hikes during the warmer months.
jonathan rubicon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:27:08 PM »

The best place to be nude in DC is Bear Island--across from the Old Anglers Inn along the Potomac.  Park across the street  and head down to the canal trail.  Cross the bridge, turn right and go about 150 paces.  A trail to the left leads down to the island.  A creek that seperates the island from the shore dries up in the summer and you can walk over.  About half the year you can wade across.  I've been totally alone for a full day after wading.
The island is about the size of a football field.  It has great sunbathing on the north and south end, a valley in between and deer trails for hiking.
In the summer a few couples and gay guys have passed through, but everyone is OK with my nudity and that of others.
BlueTrain

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 06:01:46 AM »

There is a good topo map available for the Potomac gorge along the area described in the last message, I think published by the Potomac Applachian Trail Club. Unfortunately, I can't find mine at the moment. Getting to the island is a mild challenge, not because of the so-called Billy Goat trails but because you have to either wade or rock-hop to get there and do a little rock scrambling to boot. But that all keeps down the traffic. Madeira School is directly across the river and they now have some facility that overlooks the river and this island. That could be a problem, maybe not. Even so, it's worth a visit and there's an excellent view up and down the river that you don't get anywhere else.

Some caution is advised, as always, because supposedly in the past park rangers have handed out tickets for nudity but I've never seen them. The biggest problem though, is that the parking lot across from the Old Angler's Inn fills up quickly on nice days and it isn't worth the risk to park along the side of the road. That area has built up a lot in the last 20 years with big houses. Alternatively, you can go on up a little farther and enter the park proper (Great Falls Park on the Maryland side). It isn't free but there's parking and the walk to the island is only slightly longer.

The C&O canal path that goes all the way from beyond Harper's Ferry right down to the river's edge in Georgetown is probably the best place to take a long walk around here but clothing is advised.
BlueTrain

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 06:21:09 AM »

I also wanted to add my vote for George Washington National Forest as an excellent place for hiking, even when nude. The distance is just about the same as to Shenandoah National Park and in a way, rather closer, because a very good place for an outing is at the very northern end of the national forest around Elizabeth Furnace. There's no entrance fees or anything like that and I doubt there anywhere near as many visitors.

I have done my most rewarding nude hikes in the forest on the trail to Signal Knob. The trail is quite long up and back and there are two ways to get there. I've only done one of the trails all the way so far but I think I've only made about four visits. The one trail that goes by way of Rattlesnake Point, which is seriously the name, if I remember correctly, is mostly very good, no particularly steep sections, though some are very rocky. About three-quarters of the way to Signal Knob it levels out. On one trip I passed a party of campers about half-way up who were just getting up and that was the only time I covered up, both going up and going down. So otherwise I was nude from the time I left the car until I got back at something like 2 in the afternoon. However, fifteen minutes after I got back to the car, just after moving the car from the sun into the shade, a bus load of what looked like middle school aged kids pulled in and 20 or 30 kids got out (some in swimsuits) and likterally ran up the trail I had just came in from. So timing is everything. This was just after the end of school.

That was just about the perfect hike for me.

Signal Knob has some sort of communication facility on the top. It emits a loud hum all the time but there's no one there. I stopped for a while and had a bite to eat and then headed back. Signal Knob is also, I believe, the northern end of the Masanutten Trail, which I otherwise know nothing about. In all my visits there I've never seen anyone on the trail except those campers I mentioned but judging from the size of the parking lot, I imagine that some days are a little different.

A mile or so further down the road on the other side is Elizabeth Furnace. There are also a lot of trails around there but there's a commercial campground close by and generally more people around. People go there to fish and have picnics, so it isn't as good as a place to go naked.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: