Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 04:19:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8282 Posts in 1135 Topics by 1273 Members
Latest Member: Jeffnaturist959
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

+  Hiking Naked
|-+  HIKING NAKED
| |-+  My Favorite Places To Hike Naked
| | |-+  Nude Hiking in Kentucky
Pages: 1 2 » Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nude Hiking in Kentucky  (Read 9986 times)
larryk1052
« on: April 04, 2007, 12:04:24 AM »

I think most nude hikers share the same problem in finding spots to hike nude without getting into trouble. I think this site could be a big help to us all if we would share places we have found in our local.

First, if you have never tried nude hiking or walking at night, well then the next warm night get your naked butt down to a public golf course. I have done this and it worked out well. At 10:30 at night a bright moon to light your way there is little chance you'll meet anyone.

Second, I have found three nature preserves in central Kentucky that I have been able to enjoy nude hiking. They are Tom Dorman State Nature Preserve. This park is off of hwy 1845 off of Rt 27 south of Nicholasville. This is a two mile loop. Go clockwise around the loop, that way you will hike the most difficult part going down hill.

Tom Dorman State Nature Preserve is located on 1845 off the Bluegrass Parkway. This is about a 3 mile loop. Again go clock wise around the loop. It starts steep but quickly levels off.

Then there is Pilot Knob State Nature Preserve located on Brush Creek Road, which is off of route 15 and Bert T Combs Parkway.

All of these nature preserves are very quiet and little used. There is little chance you'll get caught hiking in these places.

Now, the best place I have found to hike nude is on wooded acerage I bought last summer. Totally private never a need to carry a cover up.

I mention my wooden acerage, because as you all know it can be difficult and risky hiking public trails. Last summer my wife and I decided to fulfill a dream of moving to the country.

I want to encourage you to look into the possibility of buying your own secluded spot. Remote property filled with trees may be affordable in your area. Check it out...

Larry in Kentucky

Nude is like being bare footed all over.... Wink
Report to moderator   Logged
tan44_98

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 09:56:07 PM »

Larry......I live in central Kentucky and just visited the nature preserve south of Nicholasville. Hiked all the way nude.
Encountered one jogger,.......no problem.

I sometimes go to Berea and hike up to the pinnacle to sunbathe nude.
I usually wear something until I get to the top as this is a pretty popular area. Weekdays are best as there is less traffic. If I see or hear someone coming, I cover up with a towel, but on a few occasions I have been seen and no
one has complained that I know of.

neked here
GeorgiaHiker
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 10:09:27 PM »

Has anyone hiked nude on the north side of the Green River in Mammoth Cave National Park?  It seems the surface area of that park is little used and the far side of the park perhaps even less than the area around the cave.  Just wondered...
JE in Ky
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 10:05:25 AM »

Tried the Tom Dorman Preserve and really enjoyed it. I had the whole place to myself.

The Knights trail is a must. Takes you down to the river for some great scenery.

Enjoyed the walk out to the Pointe. With all the leaves the view wasn't much. It should be better in the fall.
kentucky dave
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 03:43:46 PM »

JE in Ky...............I've been wanting to try TDP for some time now (maybe next week). I went to a place today ( that's already been mentioned in this topic) for a three and a half hour freehike and thouroughly enjoyed it. Third time I'd been there but I have finally been able to freehike all the trails. Today is the first time that when I got back to the trail head there was another car there (out of state) but I didn't see anyone while on the trails. Smiley

It sounds like you live in central Ky, which is close to where I live, so if your interested in the details about the place let me know and I'd also like to know more about Tom Dorman Preserve.
kentucky dave
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 04:20:56 PM »

I went to Tom Dorman Nature Preserve today and had one of the best freehikes ever. Got to the trail head about 8:30 a.m. and there were no cars there, after signing in I walked about 50 ft., took my pack off and put my shirt and shorts in it and continued on with the hike. Didn't see anyone the entire hike until I got back to the truck. After being back at the truck about 5 minutes a couple pulled in, we chatted for a few minutes and they went on their way. This was the best freehike I've been on. The way the trails run and if there's no other cars at the trail head you can be pretty much confident there's no one else on the trails but you, and I will be going back in a couple of weeks or so. As stated in the first post go clockwise, it's a lot less strenuous. Beautiful country and plenty of wildlife. I had a fawn walk to within 10 or 12 feet of me and I got to take three pictures of it. Smiley Smiley Smiley
tan44_98

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 01:40:27 PM »

Have been to Tom Dorman Nature Preserve twice in the past week. Two other cars in the parking area the first time.
One left before I started my hike, the other was gone when I got back, but there was one new arrival. Did not hike nude
all the way that time.

The second visit on Monday (10/20) was great....no cars and nude all the way. Hope to get back again soon if the weather holds.
BlueTrain

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 04:07:08 PM »

What was the temperature during your walks, both Kentucky Dave and tan 44? It's getting cool around here and in fact has been in the 60's so far. Not too cool for nude hiking but breezy at times.

I have had two especially enjoyable nude walks, the more recent one at least duly reported here. On the first one, in West Virginia, there was a car at the trailhead but I proceeded nude anyway. Not far from where the cars were I spied two men fishing, so I assumed I would see no one else and didn't. I was nude on the trail for about six hours and when I got back to where I started, the other car was gone, so I didn't have to get dressed at all.

The other time I think I also left the car nude even though there was another car there in the parking lot. But it was something like 5:30 in the morning and the other car was covered with dew. I went ahead with my walk as planned. This was another long walk, too, returning to the car something like 2:00 PM. I did pass some campers along the way and covered up coming and going but otherwise remained nude all the way back to the car. However, as I was sitting there in the car making notes about the hike, a car followed by a school but pulled into the parking lot and a literal bus load of what looked like middle school students got out and practically ran up the trail.

The latter trip was near Front Royal, near Elizabeth Furnace at the northern end of the George Washington National Forest and the earlier one was along the New River in West Virginia at the southern end of the Bluestone Wildlife Management Area.

It just goes to show that the difference between a delightful and successful trip and one that is too risky and frustrating can be five minutes time.
tan44_98

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 04:53:45 PM »

Mid to upper 60's. Very pleasant!
freewalkerMA
Global Moderator

dayDreamin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:55:57 PM »

Low 40s and drizzle around Boston today.   Light snow up in VT.   How I envy you guys down south this time of year.   Up here we have to put up with chancing upon the occasional mid 50s day to squeeze in just one more real naked hike in the waning days between Halloween and Thanksgiving.   Enjoy it while you can.     Loose the shorts.
kentucky dave
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 05:02:30 AM »

I was at Tom Dorman last Saturday myself. I was with my wife and another couple and didn't go to hike nude this time. We got there around 10:00 am and the temp was in the upper 40's to low 50's and a bit breezy. I wore shorts, a T-shirt, an unbuttoned flannel shirt as a jacket and my hiking shoes. In the direction we went there's a long hill you have to go up to get back to the parking area. I started getting a bit warm climbing the hill and ended up taking the flannel shirt off. I had to laugh a bit when about half way through the hike I turned around to say something to the couple that went with us and she had ear muffs and gloves on. I thought, Man, I've hiked naked at 50 degrees many times and here she is with ear muffs and gloves on.

This was the first time I'd been to Tom Dorman on a weekend and there were too many other hikers there for me to hike nude even if I'd wanted to. I usually go during the week and early in the morning and most of the time there are few if any people there. 
BlueTrain

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 07:04:02 AM »

I've seen a man with ear muffs in the Shenandoah on a beautiful weekend in the spring. It was the first weekend the lodge at Skyland was open, whenever that was.

The funny thing is, when I am out and about and wearing clothes, I am usually the one who is overdressed, both clothes-wise and dressiest-wise and my wife is aware of the irony as well. She is generally much more casually dressed than I am. But I love both clothes and being naked, which is not to say I am ever stylish, which is another story. But anyway, we were in Williamsburg, VA, weekend before last. The weather was absolutely perfect, neither too hot nor too cool. All of these people, the other tourists, were wearing shorts and t-shirts, and here I am with hat, long pants and long sleeves, in my best casual Friday outfit. This is the same guy who sometimes is naked in the office on Sundays. There is no rhyme nor reason with me, apparently.

And by the way, I saw a guy in Williamsburg wearing one of those Utilikilts. Didn't talk to him but the place was full of re-enactors because of the anniversary of the surrender at Yorktown and there were lots of strangely dressed people around.
tan44_98

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 12:14:27 PM »

Took advantage of the nice weather yesterday (Thursday, 10-23-08) and hiked the Tom Dorman Nature Preserve for
the third time in the last two weeks. Only one there mid afternoon. Hope to head to Florida next week to catch some rays
and maybe watch the Rays if I can get a ticket to the World Series.
AKBare

Eagle River Rock Portrait

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 02:36:37 AM »

Tan 44, if I was going to the warmth of Florida, I'd write the Florida people of this site's regional section to see what naked hiking is available their way.  Enjoy the trip.
AKBare

AKBare
tan44_98

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 12:58:32 PM »

December 16, I took advantage of an unseasonably mild day to hike nude in a central Kentucky nature preserve.
I felt naked without a tan.

Looking forward to working on that in Florida sometime in February and March.
Too bad there aren't more nudist activities in Kentucky during the warm months of the year.
jonsling

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 06:20:48 PM »

i'll be visiting Mammoth Cave area and would like to know any good places to hike there. Thanks
Pages: 1 2 » Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: