Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 02:56:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
8448 Posts in 1150 Topics by 1321 Members
Latest Member: mariposita
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

+  Hiking Naked
|-+  HIKING NAKED
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  West Virginia Nudist
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: West Virginia Nudist  (Read 2133 times)
maturewvcouple
« on: July 13, 2007, 11:27:45 PM »

Enjoy outdoor nudity, but to date practice this alone in home state.  Go to unofficial nude beaches in North Carolina and a couple of beaches in Florida and really enjoy public nude recreation.  I really wish there were clothing optional swimming, camping, and hiking areas in central and southern WV.
nudewalker

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 09:31:41 AM »

I'm glad to hear from another from the "wild and wonderful" Mountain State!  If you would go to the Yahoo group "naturalistcamping2' on July 6th Bill Pennington or Casa Blanca Hot Springs answered a question about the Roanoke area with a guide to the Greenbriar Rail Trail near Marlington.  Also there was talk of an area near Bluestone Lake that one could hike naked.  I think the Blue Train posted on it last year.  As I read there is so much wilderness one only has to be patient and look. Now if you don't mind it's time for my  nude morningwalk!
BlueTrain

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 07:14:25 AM »

Greetings from the Blue Train (which goes to the South of France)--and then there is the New River Train. Alas, there are few (official) clothing optional places anywhere in this country. The only hope is in lonely and remote places which we have to mostly discover for ourselves. Apparently many of these places are now either "public" places, which means you may have to register or pay a fee and then you aren't even free to do anything you want anywhere you want, or access is generally harder or impossible because more places are posted or gated. I will admit that a couple of such places did have their dangerous spots but I always managed. There remains a few fringe areas that appear to be beneath the scrutiny of officialdom and private recreation industry (and landowners).

One such place is along the New River as you go downriver (and going north) from Glen Lyn at the point where US 460 crosses the river. There is an ancient road on the western bank that is barely passable to a pickup truck. It is many miles before you reach the boundary of the Bluestone Wildlife Management Area, of which Crump's Bottom is the majority of the land, at least on that side of the area. At any rate, there is a narrow strip of land between the river and the road that is still popular for camping for fishermen. But it may or may not be a good place for lounging nude around your camp. It may be a little too exposed in most places but some campsites are as much as ten feet below the level of the road and there is not heavy traffic by any means.

I must have described elsewhere my favorite place to visit (and hike nude) at the southern end of the WMA, where this old road continues. The road, overgrown as it is in some places, is perfect for hiking. It is an easy walk partly in the sun and partly in the shade and there is a good view of the river practically the whole way. I have also hiked in from the other end from Crump's Bottom but I didn't think the road was a good. It was lower and more shaded. Fishermen enter this area from either end but are unlikely to go very far in by a hiker's standard of distance. I also understand that riders, both horse and motorcycle, enter this section of the WMA, which is otherwise closed to vehicle traffic. Even before it was impassible, as I found out the hard way.

The reason I am so interested is because I am from Princeton and spent many days "down on the river" when I was growing up. I returned when I had my own car. We used to visit both sides of the river but I've never been on the other side of the river on my own. I also lived in Wyoming County and that's where I really started in with hiking nude when I was still in high school. Hiking sounds like a little more technical than the things I was doing, which was just spending a lot of time outdoors with no clothes.

Unfortunately I now live over 300 miles away and a visit there is a rare thing.
NRT
daves_ndt
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 02:45:31 AM »

As a former West by-god Virginian, I spent many hours in the mountains and rivers there.  I was a bit further north and east of New River, generally in the Potomac basins.  The area is laced with trails, old railroad grades and logging roads.  Outside of hunting season and big summer weekends many of these are deserted.  Some opportunities:

Red Creek (Dolly Sods).  This is a very popular trail on holiday and sunny summer weekends, but much less used during the week and in the spring.  The trail frequently is away from the river, leaving the river cooridor open to exploring and rock hopping.  There are lots of pools for cooling off and sunning, and encounters with a naked person or two is not that unusual.

Smokehole (South Branch of North Fork).  The road ends at Big Bend Campground and from there down to nearly Petersburg is a virtual wilderness.  Canoes are a popular way to get through the canyon in the spring and early summer when the water is high.  Canuding is the choice of some.  After the river drops, tubes and air mattresses can be used along with hiking.  There are nearly continous pools for skinny dipping, some old settlers cabins to explore, several caves, and campsites along the banks.  The river can also be approched by several side canyons with undesignated trails.  I and several friends have spent summer days floating and hiking naked in the middle canyon area and had it to ourselfs after the river was too low for canoeing.

Huckleberry Trail (Spruce Knob).  While the knob itself is a popular destination, the trail that heads north from the parking area is much less so, especially once you get past the first 1/4 mile.  I've hiked this trail naked in the mornings at it is glorious and convient, since the vegetation is wet.  You can leave the trail when it starts down to Juby Springs and continue north along the ridge, where there is no trail (this can be tough going so you may not get far, but you will have it to yourself.

Big Run (near Seneca Creek/Spruce Knob Lake)- this is a great hike!  It follows an old railroad grade through a deep canyon all the way down to the Potomac.  It is best as a one way hike from the top.  After the first 1/4 mile or so you will be past the fishermen, and have the route to yourself.  Most of the time it is easy hiking, but in several places the railroad grade has washed away and you will have to scramble.  There are pools along the way, but the canyon is so deep that sunbathing is limited to mid-day and the water is COLD.  Some nice camping spots along the way.  Dress to suit yourself, but be prepared for some brushy spots.

Grants Branch Trail (Spruce Knob Lake)- A walk through the woods, that is not very popular since it really doesn't go anywhere, but is pretty and can be hiked one way.

Well, that's enough for now.

Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: